Saturday, March 14, 2009

House Progress - Kitchen Spruce Up

After a few mix-ups, my little kitchen make over is complete and I couldn't be happier. This isn't one of those really dramatic before and afters, but just a much needed kitchen "pick-me-up".

{BEFORE}
This is what the kitchen looked like before we started. Standard melamine white cabinets, shiny brass knobs that screamed 1992 (when the house was built).

For some reason my photos don't pick up the contrast of the paint colors very well, but the uppers are now BM China White and the lowers are BM Gray Horse (a blue-ish, green-ish gray depending upon the lighting).


I used the same drawer pulls from my kitchen inspiration (Ephram from Restoration Hardware).

New beveled subway tile has been installed and I'm so pleased with how it turned out. I still need to install some new outlet covers. What color do you think I should use...white, stainless steal? I'm torn.

It has a nice bevel and crackle finish to it.

The french bistro table is from a local boutique and the chairs are from Pottery Barn.


The black granite has some gray and bronze colorations in it which the new cabinet colors and hardware now pull out. I wasn't too excited about the granite color before, but now really like it.

So, for very little money, our kitchen is now much more 2009. Here's a break down of what we did and approximately how much we spent...

1. Primed and painted cabinets (BM China White & BM Gray Horse): materials- approx. $200

2. Installed new cabinet hardware: 6" Ephram pull from restoration hardware-$13 pp retail (20% trade discount)

3. Installed new tile backsplash: manufacturer is Adex Tile 3"x6" beveled subway tile-$7 per square ft.

4. Installed new microwave: Kenmore-$250

23 comments:

Jenny at LGN said...

WOW! Looks great. I love that hardware! And I'm making a mental note of the paint color on your lower cabinets. Just beautiful!

Freckles Chick said...

Oh T! I LOVE the details you've added to your kitchen. The subway tiles add dimension and the hardware perfectly complements the space. But the color of those lower cabinets are to die for!! Such a soft lovely shade.

I really want to add crown molding to our cabs like you have on yours.

Anonymous said...

LOve, Love it. All the small details make it 2009. I couldn't help but notice the yummy cupcakes. I guess I'm a bit sugar deprived these days.

Becky said...

Fantastic!

Michael said...

It turned out AMAZING...I love the colors you picked for the cabinets...it adds so much, but it's subtle at the same time.

I know you and Scissors have the same backsplash tiles...where are they from? They're beautiful!

Carly said...

As I said on DP - I looove it! : )
Such a crisp, clean and soothing kitchen!

As a side note, that aqua printed top you wore to your shower... I ALMOST bought that yesterday! But, the lady at the store said it should be worn as a tunic with leggings, and it was WAY too short on me to pull that off. I might go back and get it - sounds like it was cute with jeans on you!

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome!! Makes me want to do some work on my kitchen!!

Anonymous said...

what did you do about the holes from the previous knobs? thanks

Anonymous said...

what did you do about the holes from the previous knobs? thanks! very pretty!

Amy said...

i have been waiting for this post! so, so lovely- and a big difference for a small number of changes. nice job!

Anonymous said...

What a heavenly space! I am quite found of creamy kitchens. It is such a delicate redo...quite an inspiring room. :)

Cheers~

Teresa Meyer said...

Anon: Re: the holes from the previous pulls...we just filled them with wood filler and primed and painted right over them.

Suzie said...

Fantastic! It is subtle, but it's perfect! And I love all of the finishing touches!

Anonymous said...

Very, very pretty! The new details give the kitchen a very fresh look!

Anonymous said...

I forgot I had a question! Did you use an oil based primer on your cabinets? Also, how long did it take to do all the cabinets? I would love to do something like that but I have SO many cabinets! I'm afraid it would be too big of a job for me to do myself.

Joi said...

It looks outstanding Teresa! And I would expect nothing less from your fabulous self.

Love the backsplash. That may be on my summer to-do list!

SoBella Creations said...

Your kitchen looks great!

erika said...

YEAH! It looks fantastic!! Love it all!!!

Jennifer said...

looks so good! I love the little bistro table and chairs -- very cute.

about the outlet covers -- we have stainless, and I kind of hate them. They show every little smudge, and they stand out from the walls like a sore thumb. But that's just my opinion!

Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS! I love the subway tile. The whole kitchen is perfect!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Your kitchen looks so fantastic! I really like the beveled edge on the subway tiles. I have been thinking about doing the same, but I love these tiles the best. Thanks for the inspiriations!

Anonymous said...

This small change really makes a difference! We are currently preparing to paint our cabinets white and adding black countertops, so this is great inspiration. Lovely!
see our progress here:

http://www.makemineeclectic.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

It looks phenomenal! Congratulations on your kitchen and of course, on your beautiful new baby. :)