Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Kips Bay Favs - Donald Shermerhorn

{photo courtesy of Habitually Chic)

I have to say that this small 5th floor bedroom designed by Donald Shermerhorn was my ultimate favorite room in the show house this year. The photos don't do it justice because you can't see the beautiful sheen on the walls (I'm not positive, but it looked as though they were laquered) as well as an upholstered wall behind the chest of drawers. Wall finishes such as plaster, laquer and upholstery were among the many different wall treatments used by the designers this year - I did not see one wall with plain old flat paint in the entire house. The room's fireplace surround was also made of large glass tiles. The room was a play on texture as well as an eclectic mix of furnishings and abstract artwork - definitely my kind of room! The color scheme was pretty monochromatic - soft creams were paired with a moody plum. I loved they way he floated that upholstered bed in the middle of the room. It was perfection. Once again, you'll find more great photos and a fab recap at Habitually Chic.

1 comment:

bluehydrangea said...

I think this room looks so peaceful and relaxing and don't we all need some of that!