Wednesday, November 19, 2008

House Progress - the "Man Room"

So, I wasn't just sitting around watching soap operas and eating bon bons during my blogging hiatus. I managed to get a few rooms completed in our new-ish house between bouts of morning sickness. My first major accomplishment was the den (aka: the "Man Room").

The hubs requested that he have a place that wasn't "precious", a place to kick back and relax without worrying about his wife yelling at him to take his shoes off the coffee table.

He also requested (to my dismay) that the walls be brown. In fact, if I remember correctly, "the color of leather", was his exact request. If it were up to him, the entire room would have been covered in leather. Trying to compromise, I came up with the the popular color Quincy Tan by BM and he ended up loving it.

Most of the furniture are pieces that we've had for some time except for the (sleeper) sofa which is from Mitchell Gold and is slipcovered in (machine washable!) linen. I still have some tweeking to do with those book shelves.


Another new purchase were these olive-colored stone lamps from my favorite little lighting boutique. They were my only splurge in the room and I really love the way they look.

No "Man Room" would be complete without a bar, or in this case an inexpensive wine caddy from Target acting as a bar.

The map on the wall is just one of those inexpensive school room maps cut to fit into some pre-fab frames (from Michaels). It's HUGE but the hubs loves it and that's all that matters.

A BEFORE pic of the room with the previous owners furniture and cranberry wallpaper - not really our taste.

13 comments:

Mrs. Limestone said...

Looks great!

Love the x style bookshelves you have.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Beautiful work. I love the map on the walls and I love it even more when I read it was a big school map and frames from Michaels! Amazing. I love the ottoman and the roman shades!

I wish my hubby would have let me decorate his man den that way. I have maps as well and some leather too. What is it with men and leather. I'm not in love with the room in my house, but he seems to love it so that's all that counts right?

Jennifer said...

now THIS is man room. great job!

Suzie said...

Fantastic! Love this! Would you be willing to share at DP? :)

Katie said...

what i love is that you slipcovered that couch - it looks fantastic! And the pillow on the leather chair - it is perfection.

Great Job!

Freckles Chick said...

Now this is a man room a woman would be thrilled to have. Fabulous, T!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

What a great room. I really love the map - in fact I've had a map for years, that doesn't fit any frames. I think I'll chop it up and do this! Thanks

No.35style said...

Looks good! I like the sofa and the fact it's washable linen!

Things That Inspire said...

I love the map on the wall!

Just found your blog, and I sympathize with the morning sickness. I was sick as a dog with all three of my pregnancies. Although my youngest is now 6 years old, at least once a week I think about how glad I am that I do not feel sick...my morning sickness was so debilitating. Glad you are feeling better!

niartist said...

Love this - whoa, what a transformation from the cranberry? I love those side tables used on opposite sides of the sofa, great lines, and the colors are sophisticated, too! I'm loving your blog - off to see more!

Anonymous said...

Love the map on the wall!! What a great idea!

Erica said...

I love, love, love the map idea. Would you mind sharing what size frames you purchased? I'm going to try and duplicate this in our office.

Lisamarie said...

I love that a blog such as yours finally shows evidence of a man living in the home! I see these gorgeous houses and there are no TVs, no L shaped couches, no alcohol - all things that I cannot escape because of my very manly man. Its tough to decorate in a way that accomodates such men. I would love to see more of such ideas from you!!!