Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fire Up The Grill

Calling all carnivores!

My sister-in-law Kristin, who is quite the Foodie, recommended that I buy Williams Sonoma’s Essentials of Healthy Cooking a while back and I’m so glad I did. Every recipe that I’ve tried from this cookbook has been great and relatively easy (I’m no Julia Child by any means). Here’s one of my recent favorites…

Grilled Beef Fillets with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce

Ingredients:
2 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
2 roasted garlic cloves peeled and mashed
½ cup mushroom broth (I substituted chicken broth)
1 cup fruity red wine such as Zinfandel (I used a Pinot Noir because that’s what I had handy)
¼ teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed (I used a mortar and pestle)
¼ teaspoon peppercorns
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and ground pepper
4 beef fillets, about 6 oz each, trimmed
4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

To make the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the tomatoes, garlic, and broth. Bring to a boil and cook until most of the liquid had evaporated, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, pour in the wine, and add the coriander and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until reduced by one third, about 8 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Discard the solids. Whisk in the olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Season with pepper and keep warm.

Grill your fillets to the desired doneness. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes
Brush mushroom caps with olive oil and grill until tender through-out when pierced in the center with a sharp knife.

Place a mushroom, cap side down, in the center of each plate. Set a fillet on top of the mushroom. Top with one-fourth of the wine sauce and serve.

1 comment:

Suzie said...

That looks so good! Mmmmm!